As the distinction between the capabilities of a well-programmed “web page” and a device-specific mobile app have blurred, a new term has emerged to describe these robust, immersive, and high-performing web applications: Progressive Web Apps (PWA).
Common Design Principles for a Progressive Web App
There are common design principles that a PWA should exhibit:
- Progressive: The basic functionality of a PWA should have the ability to perform its new functionality seamlessly with all versions of web browsers.
- Installable: When added to a mobile device, the launch link for the PWA should be available on the device home screen similar to the launch icons for native mobile applications.
- Responsive: The PWA should adjust its display and functionality to be compatible across multiple device screen sizes and browser implementations providing a consistent user experience at all times.
- Network-independent: A PWA should provide functionality resistant to network connectivity interruptions. A well-designed PWA should work in offline states or when network connections are interrupted or unavailable.
- Secure: The PWA should protect the data transmitted across networks and should shield application information from third-parties.
- Discoverable: The PWA should utilize an application manifest structured in specific format that allows the search engines to easily index information about the app.
- Linkable: A PWA should be shareable via its URL. This is one of the best principles of a PWA: installation by the simple launch of a URL without having to download or authorize an installation from an app store.
With these common design principles, Progressive Web Apps can offer an engaging, fresh, and user-friendly interface that employs modern mobile app conventions including push notifications and access to platform hardware to provide rich data access. PWAs are important, cost-effective tools for creating and distributing mobile apps in competitive industries. Contact the UI/UX and mobile app creation experts at TechArk today to learn about how our team can build a PWA for your next big idea.