If you plan to invest in developing an app, it’s more important than ever to be aware of trends and innovations in the mobile app marketplace. After all, today’s market is continually flooded with new apps, many of which never make it past relative obscurity. How can you be sure your app has what it takes to gain a fan base and achieve maximum ROI? The first step is being aware of trends and shifts that could position your product for success.
1. Mobile web apps. To your customers, a mobile web app is nearly indistinguishable from a native app. But for you, developing a mobile web app could allow for greater cross-platform compatibility, as well as cost-effectiveness. You may even be able to opt for hybrid apps that offer the best of both web and native.
2. Cross-platform tools.Statistics released by Dot Com Infoway showed that about 83% of developers utilized cross-platform tools. These third-party tools were used for initiatives like analytics, crash-reporting, and testing. After all, you don’t necessarily need to reinvent the wheel; great tools are out there to make developers’ jobs easier and more cost-efficient.
3. Enterprise apps. When’s the last time you paid for a consumer app? Statistics show that consumers aren’t always willing to pay actual money for an app, even if it improves their lives. Businesses, on the other hand, willingly pay for applications that can help them increase productivity. In fact, about 43% of enterprise app developers make over $10,000 per month, compared to 19% of consumer app developers.
4. The Internet of Things. You’ve likely been hearing a lot about the Internet of Things (IoT). Maybe it’s time to tap into the emerging market for consumer smart objects that can interact and share data. While Dot Com Infoway states that most developers still consider IoT projects to be a hobby, the demand for Smart Home objects and wearables has nowhere to go but up.
5. Apple’s Swift. While Objective-C is still a critical development language, Apple’s Swift is swiftly becoming indispensable. (Sorry.) Used to write apps for iOS, OS X, and watchOS, Swift allows for speed, security, and other developer-friendly characteristics.
These are just a few of the many trends shaking up the world of app development. Remember, building a successful app is more than having a great idea. Considering all of your options and embracing the tools and innovations available today is essential to the development process. Need help navigating the mobile app marketplace and choosing the strategy that’s right for you? Get in touch with TechArk Solutions.